by Haley Yates, Adv. Dip. of Naturopathy. Published in Healthy Life’s ‘Freedom to live’ magazine.
The skin is our largest organ with the capacity to absorb toxins – the last thing we need is to use skin care products with potentially harmful ingredients to add to our ever-growing toxic bombardment!
The ‘not so pretty ingredients in many skin care & beauty products include:
- Formaldehyde – a known carcinogen, considered to be toxic to respiratory & immune systems
- Parabens – linked to breast cancer, considered to be an endocrine disruptor and potentially neurotoxic
- Sodium Laurel Sulfate (SLS) and Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) – can be contaminated with ethylene oxide, a known human carcinogen and potentially harmful to the nervous system, as well as 1,4-dioxane which is a possible human carcinogen.
- Phthalates – considered toxic to reproductive, immune and nervous systems.
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT) – may act as a tumour promotor, possibly toxic to liver, thyroid and kidneys and may act as an endocrine disruptor.
You don’t need to use products loaded with chemicals for beautiful skin. Choose skin care product that contain antioxidants, herbal extracts, essential oils and vitamins with naturally occurring ingredients to repair your skin and keep you looking fresh and young – the best ingredients come from nature.
Did you know that the skin is our largest organ and will absorb toxins into your blood stream?
Look out for products listed as free from ingredients such as SLS/SLES/sulphates, parabens, phthalates, propylene glycol, petrochemicals, artificial colours & artificial fragrances to help you choose chemical free skin care. Your body will thank you!